Poinsettias & Pets

Source: Fine Art America.  Christmas Joy W Kitty Cat - Kitten W Large Eyes Daydreaming About Xmas Gifts - Framed W Poinsettias

Source: Fine Art America.  Christmas Joy W Kitty Cat - Kitten W Large Eyes Daydreaming About Xmas Gifts - Framed W Poinsettias

During the holidays, Poinsettias are a popular Christmas plant.  There is a common misconception that the poinsettia is highly toxic.  When it comes to human ingesting the plant.  It is not toxic, a person would just get a stomachache.  This misconception was spread by a 1919 urban legend of a two-year-old child dying after consuming a poinsettia leaf.   That being said they are toxic to cats and dogs. How toxic is not exactly clear.  Some site say mild, while others warn it could potentially kill a pet.   Please this season keep your Poinsettias and other holiday plants away from your pets.  Most of them are not good for "mans best friends" or our furry felines. 


Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs, Horses, Cows, Birds
Level of toxicity: Mild
 

Common signs to watch for:
Drooling
Licking lips
Dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness)
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Poison type: Plants

Alternate names:
Euphorbia,
Christmas, sap,
milky sap,
poinsetta,
ponseitta

If ingested, mild signs of vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen. If the milky sap is exposed to skin, dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness) may develop. Rarely, eye exposure can result in a mild conjunctivitis (“pink eye” secondary to inflammation). Signs are self-limiting and generally don’t require medical treatment unless severe. There is no antidote for poinsettia poisoning. That said, due to the low level of toxicity seen with poinsettia ingestion, medical treatment is rarely necessary unless clinical signs are severe.
 

If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 FREE.*